Most helpful customer reviews
32 of 32 people found the following review helpful.
Worked great...then caught on fire!
We had ours for about a year for our baby desert tortoise. It worked great while we had it...but the reason we don't have it anymore is because it shorted out or something and caught on fire in our 7 year old son's bedroom at 4:30 in the morning! Luckily, we have smoke alarms and no one (or the tortoise) was harmed. If we had been gone our house would have burned down and our tortoise would be dead. =(
18 of 18 people found the following review helpful.
Dangerous!! Shorts out in 2 months
By Amazon Customer
This is a dangerous lamp fixture. I used it for two months, I had a 100 watt Zoo Med Powersun MVB in it. I came home a few mornings ago, smelt something burning and noticed the light was off. After inspecting the fixture, the connecting cables inside of the ceramic socket shorted out. There was a lot of corrosion in there too. I will be contacting Zoo Med soon. This is really not safe. I will never purchase this again or any other Zoo Med light fixture - not worth the risk.
14 of 14 people found the following review helpful. See all 133 customer reviews...
Worked fine for a few months then blew up
I feel this is a dangerous product! Several recent reviews even state a similar problem. We got this lamp back in late Sept 2013 so we could bring our outdoor pond turtles in for the winter. I don't believe we moved them indoors till mid Oct or something like that. Anyway, a few days ago (April 2014) I awoke to having no power in the area of the house where the turtle tank was. I checked the breaker and it had been tripped. My husband is an electrician and said we might just have to much connected to that area which hasn't been a problem before. Later that day I heard a hissing sound followed by a loud pop, sounded like it came from the turtle tank but I couldn't see anything. Everything stayed on at that point, then today I heard it again and again the area breaker trips. I tried reset the breaker which is in the basement but I couldn't get it to stay on, kept tripping as soon as it got power. My 4yr old was laughing his head off when I came up and said "Momma it went POP POP!" So I'm guessing as soon as I reset it it popped and blew again. I called my husband at work and he advised to unplug everything in that area and reset the breaker which worked. When he got home he started investigating the area (we also have a fish tank in the same room) and looking for burn marks. He slowly plugged things back in one at a time and watched what happened. He got to the lamp (one of the last things to plug in) and right away got the pop and the lamp went off. He took the lamp off the tank and looked and sure enough where the cord goes into the bulb socket the cord is melted and there are burn marks on the white part where the cord comes out. We were lucky nothing caught fire! We will be contacting this company and asking for a refund, we only had a 120 bulb in there and it says it can support up to 160. Terrible product!